Law enforcement in Boise and throughout Idaho aggressively investigates allegations of domestic violence. When police are called to the scene of a domestic dispute, the general rule is that someone is spending the night in jail.
But a night in jail is just the start. A conviction for domestic violence carries significant penalties. And unanticipated consequences are a given.
If you have been arrested for domestic violence, be prepared for the worst:
- Do not expect the prosecution to simply drop your charges-even if the “victim” decides not to press charges.
- The prosecution can force the “victim” to testify through the use of a subpoena.
- The prosecutor may ask for no-contact order against you, which may not allow you to see your family or live in your home-or even visit for long enough to collect your clothes.
- A conviction for domestic violence could be used against you in a divorce.
- You may lose your right to own a firearm if convicted of domestic violence or a related charge.
A Simple Push Or Shove Is All It Takes
Many people are shocked to discover that a simple push, shove or slap may be enough to be convicted of a serious crime. But it is true. Do not make the mistake of thinking that the prosecution does not take your charges seriously. They do.
You need an experienced criminal defense attorney who is prepared to spend time talking with you, pour through police reports and conduct a thorough pretrial discovery to understand what really happened. You need an attorney who will provide the most vigorous defense possible for you. That is exactly what we do at Minert Law Office.
We understand that you just want it to go away. Resolving your case as effectively and discretely as possible is our goal as well. However, we prepare meticulously for trial in each case. As an experienced trial lawyer, Steve Minert will be fully prepared to take your case to trial, if necessary, to protect your rights.
Contact Minert Law Office
To contact our Boise law office, call 208-991-3394 or contact us by e-mail. Please give us a call. We can help!